Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Laaaaancaster

So, I got to visit Lancaster this weekend. Despite it taking me three days to say the name properly - I had a blast. I didn't really know what to expect - I was surprisingly delighted. Lots of art, eats, Amish and craft beer.

I went to visit my friend Marianne who recently took a job in the area and she decided to move right into the heart of Lancaster City. I came on a great weekend, the weather was beautiful and when I arrived on Friday - it was First Friday - so all the galleries were free and open to the public. We got to walk and catch up along Gallery Row, just a few short blocks from her apartment:


 We passed Mack, the Coffee Man along the way:


After exploring some fantastic art at the many galleries, we missed the boat to eat at some of the restaurants on Gallery Row because we didn't have a reservation - but I have a list of places that I want to try on my next visit - one place that looked fantastic was Pour.  So, for our dinner we decided to just go with some cheese and crackers, yum:


The next day we visited the Lancaster Central Market - America's oldest farmers market. If I lived in Lancaster, I'm sure I'd be there every Saturday. Lots of fresh fruit, dairy and meat - and lots and lots of jam:


After our visit to the market, we ventured out to Lititz, a small town in Lancaster County recently voted "Americas Coolest Small Town"- true story. We did some eating and lots of thrifting:



Saturday night we visited The Taproom - a bar that serves beers from the Spring House Brewing Co: Never ever have I ordered a beer flight where every beer, I liked: 


My two favorite: Diabolical Dr. Wit and Braaaiins Pumpkin Ale. So excited for Fall and Pumpkin beers:


Sunday we had breakfast at a Lancaster favorite, Rachels Cafe and Creperie:


The crepes were good, I had a breakfast crepe with eggs, sausage, rice and salsa - it was good, but not gonna lie, I was a little dissapointed. I did have one of the best chai teas I've ever had - probably because the milk they used was delicious and local from Maplehofe Dairy:


After lunch we left the city to explore Amish country. It was a beautiful day to visit and it was very interesting and fascinating to view the culture. You know you've entered Amish Country when you share the road with horse and buggy:


In case you need clarification:


We even took a wagon ride ourselves - what dorks:


The farmland truly was breathtakingly beautiful:









So, all in all, a very successful and eventful weekend, relaxing too. It was nice to get away and I was excited to explore a new place. Looking forward to another visit!

cheers. xo,

MK

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, please share! xo MK