Friday, January 11, 2013

D's Cabbage Soup

The following recipe comes from my Croatian friend Dubravka. She offered me a bowl of this soup one evening and I made sure we set a date so she could teach me to make this delicious dish. The next day I brought the soup to serve as a first course to a turkey dinner in January at my parents house. Very easy to make, and can be adapted for what you have around the kitchen. 

D's Cabbage Soup

1 head of green cabbage
4 carrots
4 celery
1 white onion
3-4 bay leaves
4-5 cloves of garlic
4 - 6 cups of chicken stock
Water (if necessary)
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Cayenne pepper
Hungarian paprika (if available)


- Roughly chop cabbage, carrot, onion, and celery. Put in large pot with chicken stock, bay leaves and whole cloves of garlic (add water if necessary). Bring to a boil and cook until veggies are soft (about an hour, give or take).

- Blend veggies together in blender and return to pot, removing bay leaves (but do not discard).

- Blend tomatoes and add to pot

- Return bay leaves to pot and add olive oil. Season the soup with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper (or Hungarian paprika) to taste. Bring soup to boil for another ten minutes.

- Remove bay leaves and serve hot. Enjoy!

Happy eating,

MK

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, please share! xo MK